Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Part 5:

Monday ends for me somewhere around 3:00 or so in the morning but I am able to sleep until almost 8:00 so that is getting better. Today is the day of the Inside Edition interview and as seems to be the case in all things when you have young kids, we are running late. Showers for the boys, who will not be part of the interview but should at least look nice. A phone call at about 8:15 is from a radio station in Ontario, Canada and they want me to do an interview on the phone at 9:45. Sure. I am a big star in Canada!

Before that interview, the phone rings and Inside edition is running late (yea) and will get back to us later about when they will be at the house. This is a relief for both of us and we continue to get ready and answer the phone. Again and again and again....

The interview with our brothers to the North goes well and I am given a bit of perspective. The story before me is about the amazing young autistic (I think) boy that came off the bench and score 20 points in his high school game. That is a story that is 16 or 17 years in the making and gives me chills. It is great to hear about kids that are doing amazing things. God works in so many ways.

We wait and wait, but suddenly we are old news to Inside Edition and to this day we have not heard another word from them. Not part of God's plan. At 2:30 I have an appointment with my family doctor to look at the bullet wound and see how I am doing over all.

Dr. Bercovitz starts by asking how I am doing mentally and how is the rest of the family. Readers, to be honest, I was not well at all. The wife and kids were sleeping through the night but I was only getting a few hours a night. The exhaustion was taking it toll as was the retelling of the story so many times that I now had three versions. A long one for those that wanted all of the details, a medium one for concerned but busy people and a really quick one to just describe why I needed whatever it was I was asking for. 'I was carjacked with my kids in the car and when I chased down the thief, he shot me.' Kind of to the point.

Dr B. can see that I am not mentally sound but he knows it is still really fresh. He seems confident that I will be ok through my faith but should I need to talk to someone he could be that person or arrange for a professional if needed. Thanks.

Now for the wound. I am certain that he does not get a lot of gunshot wounds so he is very interested in entrance, exit, bruising, etc. Things look good (in that the wound is healing) and with a prescription for some Keflex for infection we are good. Oh, and a tetanus shot.

After a quick stop to get the medicine I am home. It is great to be back with everyone and things are feeling a little normal.

Ok, confession time. The Indianapolis Star had a feedback opportunity from the story or a discussion thread or something like that. Whatever, a place for people to post comments. I have been reading it. Often. Most of the comments are kind, even if they are saying things like how often you hear about leaving your keys in the car is a great way to get your car stolen. Some of the comments are very cruel. 'I should have my children taken away, I am a terrible parent, etc.' People are entitled to their opinions and I would agree that leaving the car running with the keys in it and the kids in the car, when you say it like that, is a terrible idea. I think everyone would agree. Ok, I can live with that. Then, a true idiot weighs in.

TylerDurden12. This moron has the following to say:

"He got shot in the back while running away from people that kidnapped his children. Yeah, he's real brave..."

This is when I lost it. I posted a response explaining to this 12 IQ individual the facts. Needless to say, that was the last this loser had to say.

Tuesday night, I see a note on this posting page from MrMoses and I know that is one of my best friends Scott. He is responding to one of the meaner people and he has the nicest things to say about me and my family, my walk with God, our friendship. Well, that did it. At about 11:30 I called him and just started crying. If reading his post was what was going to make my emotions erupt, he was going to have to listen to me cry. A lot. Laying on the floor in my TV room crying my eyes out, almost unable to breathe. Finally the emotions of it all rush over me. After an hour, I know he has to work tomorrow and I am exhausted. I let him sleep.

Kevin, however, is not as fortunate. He has informed me through a text message that he is still up and not working the next day. For the next two hours Kevin listens, hardly given much opportunity to say anything. This is when I notice a bizarre thing happening. I am sometimes unable to remember where I was in the story or what part I was talking about if I get off topic. I have told it so many times to so many people it is getting all jumbled up. Kevin must endure this for 2 hours Tuesday night. Through it all, he is great.

Sleep Tuesday comes at about 3:30 and the emotions are not all out.

1 Comments:

At 8:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My prayers are with you. Isn't it amazing how your mind plays back and you think of all the "what if's"? Now, you have to remember that you have to stop and take care of yourself and your family. Pay no mind to the unkind comments about what happened. God will carry you through at the times that you need him and he already proved that once. You're situation reminds me of the footprints in the sand saying.
Take care and God Bless!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home