Monday, March 06, 2006

Part 3:

Now this thing is really starting to get crazy. WTHR is first, and while we are talking FOX-59 is parked out front. During the first TV interview, I am talking through what happened and as I approach the part about where I was shot, a sudden blank appears in my head. How to describe where I was shot? Butt, bottom, rear end, a**. Not that for sure. Suddenly I remember what was on the website. Raygan had written 'buttocks'. Then, I said it. Well, in another part of God's great plan, this comment created some much needed humor. Going forward for the first few days, as I was telling the story to visitors, I would ask my 4 year old where I got shot and he would smile the greatest smile and say "You got shot in your buttocks." Now, I am sure a few of you have seen Forrest Gump and as the days progressed, many friends and fraternity brothers were kind enough to remind me of the fact he also was shot in the buttocks.

The interviews with the other stations go well and suddenly I am the lead for every newscast in the city (except for WISH-TV 8 and I bet someone there got in a bit of trouble). It was 'the terrifying story of a father rescuing his children from a carjacker' or something like that.

I will freely admit that I not only watched the shows but TIVO'ed the others. And yes, they are still there today. I am finding that I need to know all of the info to be able to process this and watching me helped. By the way, I know I am a bit overweight but there is nothing like seeing your face and gut on the tube to bring it all together. I have vowed to lose at least 20 pounds before being shot again.

Thinking the night is over and with the boys in bed and asleep and all of the news people gone, my wife and I are still going through details when the phone rings. It is the police and they are ready to release both cars. If we cannot get down there soon, they will be towed to the impund lot. Great, like we need that. He also wants her to look over her purse and confirm the details of what is missing. This means that after everything she has been through today, her day is not over. A wonderful neighbor Charlie (she) agrees to take her downtown to get my car, which is drivable, and sign for AAA to tow her car to the Firestone downtown so in the AM we can get a new tire.

After waiting too long for AAA, they finally arrive and get the Trailblazer. During her wait, my wife has a chance to talk with Harry the CSI guy. This is when we find out he has stayed late into the night to process the cars. This means we get a car back right away and not three days later. And she had to ask, 'How much of that stuff on CSI is true?' He said 40%.

Her night ends around 12:30 as she heads to bed. No such luck for me. I think I finally closed my eyes around 2:30 or so. Exhaustion beats fear and I sort of sleep.

I had no idea how early the next day was going to start.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home